Obama has inspired me in politics since 2004. This week, he inspired me in the kitchen as well! Since we were having friends over to eat takeout Burmese food (yum!) and to watch the last presidential debate, it seemed appropriate to serve an Obama-themed dessert. And because the man has run a classy campaign on a message of unity, a fancy layer cake sounded about right. Style and substance!
OBAMA BLACK FOREST CAKE
- Make whipped cream frosting from Japanese Strawberry Shortcake post.
- Bake chocolate genoise. Use recipe from Japanese Strawberry Shortcake, but replace 1/4C flour with cocoa.
- While genoise cools, make cherry filling (recipe below).
- Level and split genoise.
- Brush 1/4C syrup from cherry filling onto bottom layer. Spread 1/2C frosting on top. Dot with cherries. Spread 1/2C frosting on top.
- Brush 1/4C syrup onto middle layer. Invert over cake. Brush another 1/4C syrup on top. Repeat frosting and filling as above.
- Brush 1/4C syrup onto final layer. Invert over cake.
- Frost the cake with remaining cream. Comb sides if desired. Garnish with blueberries and raspberries.
CHERRY FILLING RECIPE
2C canned sour cherries
- Drain the cherries, but reserve 1C juice.
- Combine the cherries and kirsch in a bowl. Set aside.
- Simmer the reserved juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until reduced by half (~8 mins).
- Pour the liquid over the cherry mixture. Set aside until needed.
- When ready to use, remove cherries from syrup and place in a separate bowl.