The scariest part of Halloween is that it took me over a week to post a picture and recipe! This year we dressed as Bert & Ernie and went to a friend’s costume party. Of course I brought along homemade cupcakes. The skull decorations were inspired by Martha Stewart circa 2005. I adapted the red velvet cake recipe from Martha and the Lee Brothers.
RED VELVET SKULL CUPCAKES RECIPE
2T unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2C cake flour
1 1/2C sugar
1 1/2C canola oil
2 large eggs
2T red food coloring
1t vanilla extract
1/2T zest from navel orange
1C sour cream
1 1/2t baking soda
2t white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and cocoa in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix sugar and oil on medium speed until combined. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in food coloring and vanilla and orange zest. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir together baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Add baking-soda mixture to batter, and mix on medium speed for ~15 seconds.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean (~23 mins). Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE
1/2C unsalted butter (room temp)
6oz cream cheese (room temp)
1t vanilla extract
3C powdered sugar
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla on low speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Increase to medium speed and beat about 1 minute to lighten the frosting.
SKULL CUPCAKE INSTRUCTIONS
48 dark brown M&Ms
48 jimmies (aka chocolate sprinkles)
144 white Jelly Bellys (ie coconut)
- Place 2 M&Ms logo-side down near the “top” of each cupcake as eyes.
- Place 2 jimmies in the center of each cupcake as nostrils.
- Place 2 rows of 3 jelly beans near the “bottom” of each cupcake as teeth.