These moustachioed bento buddies came in at 7:11 minutes (and the 7/11 jingle will be in my head for the rest of the day) but of course that doesn’t count planning, organizing materials, photography or cleanup.
MOUSTACHE BENTO TOOLS
In addition to Merry Kitchen basics, I also used:
- Alphabet picks (not pictured)
- Accessory picks
- Eye picks
- Mr Potato Head nose & moustache
- Bottle & pacifier moustaches
- Serrated steak knife (I happen to love fine china & tabletop items. You don’t need to use one quite this nice!)
MOUSTACHE BENTO INGREDIENTS
- Peanut butter
- Babybel cheese
- Powdered doughnut
- Mini pretzel twist
- Cherry tomatoes (use ripe but very firm ones)
MOUSTACHE BENTO PREP
- Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread. Use the teardrop cutter to cut out a moustache in another slice. Place on top. Add eyes, “O” nose and bowtie. (Hat tip to A Boy and His Lunch)
- Unwrap Babybel cheese. Attach eyes, Mr Potato Head nose & moustache.
- Poke eyes and “O” nose into the powdered doughnut.
- Place a mini pretzel twist on the cutting board and use the steak knife to gently saw off the double-humped side. Hold the pretzel firmly enough to keep from wiggling or popping out of place (will snap) but without squeezing it (will break).
- Dab a little water onto your fingertip and pat the bottom circle of the doughnut. Press in pretzel piece.
- Carefully encircle each cherry tomato with a moustache bottle marker.
- Assemble everything into bento boxes.
- Revel at your hipster food skills.
Teddy got a real kick out of the moustache bento as well as the pictures. 🙂 Hope you do too! Also I moustache you to participate in Movember 2014! Which friends can I sponsor this year?